Half Rounds - what are they?

by Judy H
(Visalia, Ca)

Half-round sea glass finds indentified?

Half-round sea glass finds indentified?

Does anyone know what these were (are)?

They are round on the top and flat on the bottom.

Comments for Half Rounds - what are they?

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 07, 2017
Half rounds
by: Anonymous

I have a really nice collection of these I call them gum drops and felt really lucky when I found one. Some are very small, others dime size, lots of deep colors also with stripes and a lot of them glow under black light.

I took them to the sea glass museum at Fort Bragg and was told they are at least 60-70 years old and perhaps they are from a game lost on the beach, he said they were popular at that time.

It took me 10 years of collecting them and it's been 7 years since I found anymore, the area was Near Bodega Bay, Ca .

PS be careful of rogue waves, slippery rocks and getting lost in the fog.

May 21, 2016
by: Judy H

Thank you all for your comments.

Sad to think people are "seeding" glass pieces but I guess they think it's better than searching for the real thing. NOT!! Although these may have been seeded quite a while ago since they are so tumbled (unless of course, they did that themselves ... don't want to think about that).

But you're right about the bottom one - I do think it's a half marble.

May 12, 2016
Round on top flat on bottom
by: Toni

They could be what others are saying...but if you see swirls inthe glass its probably a old marble broke in half and tumbled around for years....it would actually be an awesome find!!!

May 10, 2016
Flat bottom
by: james

They can be found at art supply stores.
I have been finding then at all the beaches I go to in the last year. They are seeded.

May 10, 2016
What are Half Rounds
by: rc

The description is similar to a decorative stone sold in the craft stores AC Moore or Michaels.

They are used in stepping stones or in the base of a glass vase to add color. They are probably a little bigger than a dime in diameter, are smooth on the bottom and have a raised dome top

May 09, 2016
Half Rounds
by: Esma from Mixed Bead Bags

These could be cabochons used in making jewelry. One side is flat so they can be glued onto jewelry findings.

May 09, 2016
Top round, bottom flat sea glass ID
by: David

Thanks for this interesting question.

Usually, a round piece of glass about the size of a dime and flat on the bottom is one of those originally-shiny things that are used by floral arrangers to hold the flower stems in place.

On the other hand, the bottom object is almost positively a cat-eye marble.

A photo of the pieces from the side would be great.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Identify Your Sea Glass.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.

OdysseySeaGlass relies on advertising to cover costs of sharing sea glass info from around the world. Purchasing from an ad on our site costs no more than directly and provides us with a few cents income.

You will see Google and Amazon ads as well a few other advertisers as you view our pages. .

Browse Our List of Recommended Sea Glass and Beach Books